Knight's Move SuDoku
has arrived! This is the first of a number of SuDoku Variants
that will be added to the Solver in due course. SuDoku Variants is a licensed feature.
The license key will work with all new Variants as they become available. Next in the pipeline are Queen/Bishop's Move, King's Move and Diagonal SuDoku. If there are other
SuDoku Variants that you would like to be added, send an email to email@example.com
and they may be added if there is sufficient demand.
FREE Knight's Move SuDokus will now appear in the free Cracking The Cryptic
Virtual Puzzle Book; and will also appear on the Puzzles
page of this website.
A new Virtual Puzzle Book is now available called Knight's Move SuDoku
, containing 100 brand new puzzles exclusive to this website. Difficaulty Factors range from 'Easy' to 'Ultimate'.
More details are here
4. An Autoscale mode
option has been added to the options menu. This allows Autoscale to be set to 'Font' (the default until now), 'DPI', or 'None'. This is to overcome issues seen by
some users where the grid did not display correctly. More details are here
1. Double click is now treated as two single clicks, rather than just one. So, when using the 'Snyder with mouse' option, it is possible to more rapidly cycle between blank,
normal font, bold font.
2. In List View, the 'End' button would jump beyond the last SuDoku if the number of SuDokus was an exact multiple of 20.
3. The 'Save' button (and 'Save' in the File menu) only appear in Capture and Solve modes. They no longer appear when in any of the Advanced Analyses modes, or when
in Clue mode. This is to prevent confusion about exactly what is being saved.
4. Some very difficult Killer SuDokus puzzles caused the solver to get stuck in an infinite loop when Grading or using the Splits analysis.
5. In Print or Print Preview, Uniques (little red squares) were not displaying correctly.
1. Support for Snyder Notation
has been added. Snyder notation is where a possible can only occur in two positions within
a 3 X 3 box. For a good explanation of Snyder notation, see this video
from the 'Cracking The Cryptic' YouTube channel.
Now Snyder possibles can be shown in bold font to distinguish them from other possibles.
When hovering the mouse over a little number, use the 'S' button to mark it as a Snyder possible (bold font), or left click the mouse to mark it as
a normal possible (normal font). In addition, under options, there is a new setting 'Snyder with mouse'. If this is checked, then left
clicking the mouse will cycle a little number between blank, normal font and bold font.
If you need some help spotting all the Snyders, a new button 'Snyd' has been added near the 'Poss' and 'Clue' buttons. This will populate the whole grid with all Snyder possibles based on the current position.
2. For Killer SuDokus, the 'Impossibles in Groups' analysis has been improved to cover groups of eight squares.
3. For Killer SuDokus, the 'Associates' analysis has been improved to operate on Groups as well as Rows, Columns and Boxes.
Details can be seen here
1. In 'Virtual Puzzle Book' the left hand YouTube button would appear on top of the help panel, if the help panel was viewed.
2. The grid labels were not displaying correctly when solving Killer SuDokus.
3. Print Preview threw up a strange error message if no default printer was set, or if the default printer was offline, or if the default printer had no drivers.
4. Small pink squares (eg. when showing Associates analysis) were difficult to see on some displays. 'Pink' changed to 'Hotpink' (a darker pink).
1. The 'Cracking The Cryptic'
Virtual Puzzle Book now contains links to the YouTube videos of the puzzles from the 'Cracking The Cryptic'
YouTube channel. Buttons on the main Solver panel, as well as in the 'Virtual Puzzle Book' and 'List View', take you straight to YouTube!
Full details here
2. To aid navigation in large Virtual Puzzle Books, buttons for jumping to the end
and jumping to the beginning
have been added to both
'Virtual Puzzle Book' and 'List View'.
1. When downloading the latest SuDokus from the website, the count of new SuDokus was incorrect.
2. When entering a Killer SuDoku
it was possible to corrupt the count of group totals
by expanding one group over the top of another one.
1. Significant enhancement to the Rows and Columns
analysis (aka 'X-Wing) to include 'finned' variants (aka 'Finned X-Wing'
and 'Sushimi Finned X-Wing'
Full details may be seen here
2. Check for latest version
at start-up. This check (which is also still available from the Help menu) is now performed at start-up. The start-up check
can be inhibited in the Options menu.
3. Virtual Puzzle Books that 'grow' can now download Killer SuDokus as well as standard SuDokus. For example, the 'Cracking The Cryptic' Virtual Puzzle Book now includes Killer SuDokus -
more details here
1. Quad Pairs
analysis (aka 'Unique Rectangles') would only spot scenarios with just one extra Possible in the 4th Square of the pattern.
In fact, the logic works for any number of extra Possibles in the 4th Square. This has been fixed and Quad Pairs should recognise a lot
more scenarios. Full details may be seen here
2. Minor improvement to the GUI: when using any key (eg.to delete a Solution or populate a Square with Possibles),
the re-drawing of the dark blue outline square was not always working correctly.
1. Additional shortcut keys
have been added ('P' was already a shortcut key for populating a single Square with all possible solutions) so the full list of shortcut keys is:
- Populate a single Square with all possible solutions.
- Clear a single Square of all possible solutions (ie clear all Little numbers, or "pencil marks", from that Square).
- Toggles between Big Numbers and Little Numbers
- Toggles between Big Numbers and Little Numbers
added to File menu. This opens List View. Does exactly the same as selecting 'List View' from the Tools menu, but added following several requests.
Also added separate buttons on the Toolbar for 'Virtual Puzzle Book' and 'List View'.
3. Support for a new Puzzle Book Cracking The Cryptic
. This Puzzle Book is FREE and features SuDokus from the YouTube channel of the same name, see here
Many of the videos on this channel feature Duncan's SuDoku Solver - so a great place to see it in action!
This Puzzle Book grows! New puzzles will be regularly added and can be downloaded for free - full details here
1. In Killer mode, the Save button
(and Save option in the File menu) did not appear unless a name was first typed into the name box.
2. With Microsoft Windows 10
, the File Browser (the magnifying glass button in Virtual Puzzle Book and List View) stopped operating correctly and did not allow browsing
of folders or creation of new folders. A new setting ('before Windows 10) has been added in the Options menu. It should be unchecked for running in Windows 10
and checked for all earlier versions of Windows. Some very early versions of Windows 10 may also require this option to be checked to get correct operation of the
3. In Solve Mode, gross Mistakes
(Square is coloured red) were showing up even if the 'Mistakes' checkbox was not checked.
4. In List View
, if the first line of the comments was too long, it could overflow into the 'Required Analyses'. Now truncated to fit into the comments area.
1. In Solve Mode, when clicking on the Clue Button
, the Help Detail box and the '?' cursor turn on automatically and the Clue Button turns red to indicate 'Clue Mode'. They will turn off
automatically when clicking on the grid to return to Solve Mode (or when entering Solve Mode from any other Mode). The '?' button still allows
the Help Detail box to be turned on and off manually.
2. Support added for a new type of Virtual Puzzle Book - MegaBooks. These are a collection of ALL the SuDokus published on the littlegogs.com website during the year.
The collection is updated with all the SuDokus published to-date at the click of a button.
More information is here
3. For Killer SuDokus, several new enhancements have been made to the 'Impossible Combinations' analysis to tackle some particularly tough puzzles. Full details are
1. Using the "Poss" button to populate the whole grid with possible solutions, or using the 'P' key to populate a single Square with possible solutions,
did not start the timer if elapsed time was zero.
2. A Solution in a Square did not always remove Possibles of the same value elsewhere within the same Group.
3. Going into List View (or Virtual Puzzle Book) and then exiting without loading a SuDoku, caused STEP mode to advance one step.
4. In List View, deleting a folder that contained files other than SuDoku files caused a crash.
1. Picture SuDokus
are now displayed in a different way. Previously, either
the picture or
the SuDoku grid were displayed depending
on if the mouse was hovering over the grid. This caused the picture to flicker on and off in a distracting way. Now, the picture can be displayed
(or not) under user control. Also the picture can be faded in and out to show both picture and grid overlayed.
1. In List View, SuDoku names could be truncated to 25 characters when the mouse cursor hovered over them.
2. In Capture Mode for Killer SuDokus, there were some pixels not being correctly re-drawn when the blue Group outline moved away.
3. In Capture Mode for Killer SuDokus, the blue Group outline was not drawing in the left column and the top row when the cursor was brought in from off-grid.
4. When loading a SuDoku, a 'PAUSED' message would show even if elapsed time was zero. Now, if a SuDoku is reset to the start position,
and the SuDoku is saved without starting it, the 'PAUSED' message will not show when that SuDoku is re-loaded.
5. Returning from List View or Virtual Puzzle Book without selecting a SuDoku could cause the cursor not to display the blue highlight square in
Capture and Solve modes.
6. When downloading a Killer SuDoku from the website, the message "The new SuDoku has been downloaded" would display even if a Killer SuDoku had not been downloaded, due to the Killer Solver
feature not being licensed and the demo period of 30 days having expired.
7. Saving a Picture SuDoku that had been downloaded from the website, sometimes caused it to become unlicensed.